FREE FUN FRIDAYS Offered in The Berkshires and Beyond
The kids have finished up at school, and I'm sure it won't be long until cries of "I'm Bored" float through the house. Of course there's always an abundance of things to do around The Berkshires and the rest of the commonwealth throughout the summer, but with sometimes with a family, those things can add up and break the bank.
That's where the Highland Street Foundation comes in. The foundation is based out of Newton, Massachusetts, and established in 1989 by David J. McGrath, Jr., the founder and owner of TAD Resources International, Inc. David passed away in May 1995, but throughout his life, he and his wife JoAnn contributed to a number of varied and important charitable causes through their personal philanthropy. Since 1989 the McGrath Family and the Highland Street Foundation have donated more than $103 Million to many worthy non-profit organizations including $80 million to groups in Massachusetts alone.
So what does this mean for you? This means every Friday throughout the summer, there are FREE activities for your family in The Berkshires and beyond. We put together some notables and local events, but you can check out the whole list here.
- MatheMagic! performance at The Mahaiwe. Internationally acclaimed magician and educator, Bradley Fields, captivates students with his famous magic illusions, and turns them on to the history, the power, and the beauty of the language of Math! For over 20 years, teachers, math specialists and educators have given it their highest accolades. With large multimedia projections, stage illusions, comedy, drama, and audience interaction, MatheMagic! is recommended for students in grades K-8. Performance at 11 am.
- Free admission to The Children's Museum of Holyoke. 9 am - 4 pm
- Free admission the The Sports Museum 10 am - 5 pm
- Free Admission to The Hall at Patriot's Place 10 am until 5 pm
- Free Admission The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston 10 am until 10 pm
- Free Admission The Springfield Museums, including the Art, Science and Dr. Seuss Museums. Timed entry to the Amazing World of Dr. Seuss is first come, first serve. 10 am to 5pm
- Family Fun Day at Tanglewood with activities for the whole family, from 3 pm to 5:30pm. Explore the grounds on a guided nature walk, pose for selfies in dress-up costumes, make crafts to take home, and try out different instruments at the Instrument Playground. Hear books come alive with professional storytellers, add your artistic touch to a Tanglewood mural, and "win" a scavenger hunt prize at the end! And of course, there's the music - everything from Broadway tunes to brass fanfares, hiphop to fiddling. After the Fun Fest, find your favorite spot on Tanglewood's lush green lawn, relax on your blanket, and experience the magic of the Boston Symphony Orchestra during the evening concert.
- Free Admission to Sandwich Glass Museum, including glass blowing demonstrations. 9:30 am to 5 pm.