At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoon, a passerby reported smoke and fire coming from garage bay at Village Truck Sales on Rte. 8 in Lanesborough, according to LVFD Chief Charlie Durfee.

Firefighters from Lanesborough, Cheshire, and Dalton responded and quickly knocked down the blaze. It was "under control in about 25 minutes", according to Durfee.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a electrical short in an extension cord used in the former auto body bay, which is now used for storage. The short caught the adjacent wall on fire.

All three responding departments used their tankers to get water on the fire as Village Truck Sales is out of the hydrant district.

The structure suffered around $5000 in damage and is deemed repairable, according to Durfee.

Rte. 8 was closed for about 45 minutes. "It was a great team effort", says Chief Durfee.



More From WBEC FM