My mother is in town for a week so I decided to treat her to some filet mignon on the grill on Tuesday. The best part about having a new driveway is that I can pull my grill out of the garage and grill on the driveway.

My old driveway did not come flush to the entrance of the garage door, so there was a big dip making it super cumbersome to get it out of the garage, so grilling in the garage became the normal which can be dangerous!

One time I left the grill on by accident when my wife had called me in the house for a second and the whole garage was filled with smoke. Lesson learned.

BUT, DID YOU KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF HOUSE FIRES IN MASSACHUSETTS IS?

Burning cigar with smoke on old humidor
Shaiith
loading...

I thought it was careless smoking, but it is NOT! In actuality, it's cooking fires.

attachment-IMG_5465
loading...

Here are some tips on how to deal with a cooking fire courtesy of mass.gov

  • Cover a pan or grease fire with a lid and turn off the heat. Baking soda also works.
  • Don't move a burning pan.
  • Don't use water or a fire extinguisher on a grease fire.
  • Stand by your pan. Don't leave food, grease or oils cooking on the stove top unattended.
  • Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward to prevent spills.
  • Create a three-foot child-free zone around the stove. Keep pets away also.
  • Keep combustible items like pot holders, towels, and paper or plastic bags away from burners.
  • Don’t put metal in a microwave. Utensils, aluminum foil or twist-tie wraps can cause a fire.
  • Use caution with microwaved food and liquid. They can become very hot.
  • Unplug appliances like toasters and coffee makers when not in use.
  • Don’t use the oven for storage.

50 Famous Brands That No Longer Exist