Firefighters in Pittsfield were busy on Monday, (Nov. 26), knocking down two separate structure fires.

PFD responded to 99 Second St. in Pittsfield around 12:45 p.m. and upon arrival found a moderate smoke condition in apartment 104 of the building with extension to the north wing, according to a media release from the fire department.

Firefighters found a wall-mounted thermostat unit that had failed, causing it to be consumed by fire. The resulting "drip-down" of melted plastic ignited carpet, trim, and a portion of wall. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire using portable extinguishers. All of the occupants were safely evacuated and no injuries were reported.

A second structure fire was reported in Pittsfield shortly after 8:15 p.m. at 240 Francis Ave. The fire started in the kitchen of apartment 37. According to a media release, the fire had spread to cabinets, vent hood, and wall coverings.

There was heat and smoke damage throughout the living area of the residence. The cause of the fire was an unattended pot and pan on the stove. The occupant was home but in another room at the time of the flare up. No injuries were reported.

More From WBEC FM