Ready For More Brown Water, Pittsfield? Hydrant Flushing Rolls On
Thanks to a media statement from the City of Pittsfield and the Mayor's Office, we're happy to pass along the latest schedule for the week of May 9th concerning the annual hydrant flushing for Pittsfield.
Monday, May 9, marks the start of week three for the flushing of the city of Pittsfield’s water system. Water mains throughout the city will be flushed through hydrants to remove accumulations of pipeline corrosion products.
Mains will be flushed Monday through Friday each week, except holidays, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. For Tuesday, May 10 only, there also will be early morning flushing activity from 3-6 a.m. The impacted area includes South Street/East Housatonic intersection to Charles and Wahconah streets.
The upcoming flushing for this week may be expected to affect the following areas:
- Several locations along Park, King, and Onota streets near Von Nida Street, Walnut Street, West Housatonic Street, Fort Hill Avenue, South Street, and Velma Avenue.
- All of West Housatonic Street from South Street to Callahan Drive and all neighborhood streets in-between (i.e. Boylston Street, Cadwell Road, Lebanon, and Cole avenues).
- West Street from Park Square continuing to Fort Hill Avenue and all neighborhood streets in-between.
- Several locations along Center Street, Valentine Road, Pecks Road, Thomas Island, Upper North and outer Wahconah streets, Lakeway Drive, and Linden Street.
- Hancock Road starting at the North Street intersection which would include the Highland and Ridge avenue neighborhood.
Although flushing may cause localized discolored water and reduced service pressure conditions in and around the immediate area of flushing, appropriate measures will be taken to ensure that proper levels of treatment and disinfection are always maintained in the system.
If customers experience discolored water, they should let the water run for a short period to clear it prior to use. If discolored water or low pressure conditions persist, please contact the Water Department at 499- 9339.