Playgrounds Re-Open in Pittsfield
Playgrounds in Pittsfield at parks and schools have reopened. Please play it safe by wearing a face covering when needed, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing/sanitizing hands before and after your visit.
The Commonwealth's full regulations regarding public parks and other outdoor spaces can be read in their entirety below.
Parks and Open Space Guidelines:
- Visitors must practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from others and adhering to all site-specific rules, regulations, and posted signage regarding permitted uses.
- On trails, walkers and hikers should move aside and leave room for others to pass, and cyclists and runners should alert other users when approaching and wait for others to step aside before passing.
- After visiting public spaces, users should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Managing entities may offer or allow third parties to coordinate group hikes, nature walks, and land stewardship activities, such as clean-up events and community service projects, at their discretion but such activities shall be consistent with social distancing and group size guidelines. There may be more than one group of 10 at one time, provided that adequate social distance and group separation can be maintained.
- Organized group hikes, nature walk programs, and land stewardship activities should be planned in advance with proper registration of participants in order to manage capacity. Onsite registration should be not offered. Participants of group hikes, nature walks, and land stewardship activities should not share equipment.
- No permits should be issued for group gatherings.
Athletic Fields, Courts, and Other Playing Surfaces (Non-Organized/Permitted Use)
All outdoor athletic fields, courts, and other playing surfaces (basketball, tennis, baseball, football, soccer, skate parks, etc.) can be utilized by the public during Phase II for general recreation. Athletic fields, courts, and other playing surfaces at parks, reservations and open space managed by municipalities or other organizations for public use is available at the discretion of the city or town it is in and/or the managing organization. User activities should be consistent with social distancing and group size guidelines. Persons seeking to organize youth or adult sport activities should review and follow EEA’s Workplace Safety and Reopening Standards for Businesses and Other Entities Providing Outdoor Adult Sports, Supervised Adult Youth Sports Leagues, Summer Sports Camps guidance.
Playground, Spray Decks and Outdoor Fitness Areas
All visitors to playgrounds, spray decks and outdoor fitness areas (including associated seating or picnic areas), and managers associated with properties or activities herein, should abide by the specific guidelines outlined. Property-specific guidelines should be posted at entrance points to areas and on relevant social media/websites.
Social Distancing and Hygiene
- Persons using playgrounds, spray decks and outdoor fitness areas must maintain 6 feet from all other persons.
- Playground, spray deck and outdoor fitness area operators should post signage encouraging distancing and use of face coverings.
- Parents, guardians and other adults supervising children should monitor children at all times to ensure children maintain proper distancing and adhere to requirements for face coverings.
- Where possible, playground and outdoor fitness area operators or staff (if available) are encouraged to limit capacity to allow for social distancing. If the facility is unstaffed, parents and guardians will be required to seek alternative facilities if the playground or spray deck is crowded such that social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Children and adults who feel sick or are recovering from an illness may not visit the playground, spray deck or outdoor fitness area.
- Users shall abide by social distancing standards for bathroom lines and follow any established visual guidelines for maintaining a 6 feet distance in all restroom facilities
- Restroom facilities, if available, should contain hand washing and/or sanitizer stations, and the public should use these stations before and after the use of the facilities.
- After visiting public spaces, users should use wash their hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Playground and outdoor fitness area managers are encouraged, if feasible, to modify play structures to encourage social distancing (such as removing swings or moving seating).