As if 2020 hasn't been challenging enough for restaurants, The Old Heritage Tavern had a small basement fire during operating hours, forcing customers and tenants to vacate the premises.
The popular Lenox eatery had a scare Saturday night when the main electrical service into the building, which houses the restaurants as well as tenants, shorted out and started a small fire in our basement. Smoke quickly took over the restaurant and caused multiple things to shut down. Tenants and customers evacuated the building and the Lenox Fire Department was able to identify the problem quickly.
Owner John McNich spoke about the incident via Facebook:
"Thanks to a group of amazing people, we were able to open for a couple more hours at the end of the night.
There are so many people to thank. As usual, The Lenox Fire Department was exceptional. Thank you, Chief O’Brien and the firefighters who heard the call and came running. The electrical team who gathered on a cold Saturday evening - Scott Pignatelli and Matt Lane as well as Bobby Pensivy, without them there would be no power at the Heritage. I’d also like to thank Max Scherff and the Red Lion Inn, Mindi Morin of Canyon Ranch, and Whitney Asher of Brava.
It is amazing and heartwarming to live in a town where there is a line of people reaching out to lend a hand in a time of need. We call it the Silver Lining. Thank you to everyone for their help and concern and we apologize for the inconvenience last night."
McNinch clarified that the problem was remedied that night by electricians and The Heritage is open for regular business hours.
WBEC FM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

LOOK: Just some of the photos that capture the historic year that was 2020

More From WBEC FM