Burning Season Is Open
If you plan on burning… do it safely and legally.
Burn permits are now being made available at all firehouses in the City of Pittsfield. The permits can be obtained through the online system at bcburnpermits.com.
Open burning season runs from Jan. 15th through May 1st.
Here is a list of the Pittsfield Firehouse locations that you can obtain a physical permit from:
Fire Department Headquarters, 74 Columbus Ave
Engine 1, 331 West Housatonic Street
Engine 2, 9 Somerset Ave
Engine 5, 54 Pecks Road
Engine 6, 8 Holmes Road
Regarding open burning, you should follow these State regulations:
- You may only burn brush. All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10 a.m. and must be extinguished by 4 p.m.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open-air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time (example: violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions)