Duplex Fire Cause Determined
Investigators have determined the fire which gutted a Pittsfield duplex started from the improper disposal of burning incense. The Berkshire Eagle reports that the origin of the fire was traced back to the vicinity of a wastebasket, where one of the residents said he had disposed of the incense, according to Pittsfield Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski.
Just before 6 p.m. several 911 calls reported flames coming from the front of the Burke Ave duplex, and shortly after the fire department arrived, the blaze blew out the second story windows. Two resident's were taken to Berkshire Medical Center, a woman with a pre-existing condition, and a male who was suffering from smoke inhalation. One member of the Pittsfield Fire Department was transported to BMC with an knee injury and was shortly released, another suffered minor injuries but did not go to the hospital.