A fire that started in the attic of 654 N. Main St. in Lanesborough Saturday afternoon, has displaced a family of eight. The Lanesborough Fire Department was dispatched around 3:40 PM, with Chief Charlie Durfee arriving first and finding smoke showing from both ends of the house.

Landlord John Goerlach said firefighters did a great job saving the near 200 year old house, but still sustained around $20,000-$30,000 in damages. Goerlach offered the family of eight a small vacant apartment to use temporarily while they search for something more suitable.

The full story according to The Berkshire Eagle.

Tuttle and her family lost most of their possessions, getting immediate help replacing some of those items on Saturday from the Berkshire Dream Center. On Sunday, the local American Red Cross disaster response team met with Tuttle at The Christian Center to provide food, clothing and housing assistance. The center on Robbins Avenue is running point in the relief effort. Director Ellen Merrit and her staff gathered up shirts, pants, jackets, pillows, blankets and linens from their stock of donated goods to keep the family clothed and warm.

If you have the means and would like to help, please contact The Berkshire Christian Center at 413-443-2828. The Berkshire Christian Center is located at 193 Robbins Ave, Pittsfield, MA 01201. Monetary donations will be accepted.



More From WBEC FM