New Study Ranks Massachusetts as 5th Safest State in the United States
Massachusetts is a great place to live. The state boasts natural beauty from Cape Cod beaches to the mountains of the Berkshires, good schools, and a great real estate market always puts Massachusetts towards the top of the most desirable places to live in the United States.
One of those many reasons why people love living in Massachusetts is safety. In fact, New England as a whole reported the lowest number of instances of violent crime and property crime per year.
Massachusetts Named 5th Safest State 2023
A recent study by WalletHub has ranked Massachusetts as the 5th safest state in the country.
In order to determine the most secure states in the United States, WalletHub compared the 50 states across 52 key metrics. According to the company, "the data set ranges from assaults per capita to the total loss amount from climate disasters per capita to the unemployment rate."
Massachusetts ranked number five overall but was also ranked first in many of the analytic categories. In fact, Massachusetts was ranked in the top ten most all but three of the factors examined.
- 6th – Murders & Non-Negligent Manslaughters per Capita
- 28th – Assaults per Capita
- 6th – Loss Amounts from Climate Disasters per Capita
- 11th – Fatal Occupational Injuries per 100,000 Full-Time Workers
- 1st – Fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles of Travel
- 29th – Law-Enforcement Employees per Capita
- 5th – Bullying Incidence Rate
- 4th – Sex Offenders per Capita
- 1st – Share of Uninsured Population
Not only is Massachusetts ranked as one of the safest states in the country, but TWO cities in the Bay State were named the safest in the country. Check out which two here.
LOOK: Here is the richest town in each state
Gallery Credit: Meagan Drillinger