Pittsfield Wendy’s Suffers Damage in Gas Leak Fire
Early this morning, June 28, the Pittsfield Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at Wendy's fast-food restaurant.
At 12:15 am PFD received an alert of a reported structure to Wendy's Restaurant at 556 Hubbard Avenue. Upon arrival, they found a small, growing fire in the kitchen of the building.
The Engine 2 crew extinguished the fire with fire extinguishers. Truck 2 ventilated the building. Engine 3 stood by providing a water supply. The fire was contained to the stove and hood area. Gas to the appliance was shut off and in addition, Berkshire Gas responded to ensure that was the cause of the gas leak.
The fire started when a cleaning crew moved a gas-fed, flat-top stove unit. While moving it, a fire erupted from behind the unit, with flames shooting out and up. Fortunately, due to the clean kitchen area and lack of combustible materials, the fire didn't have much fuel to grow other than the punctured gas line.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. The Pittsfield Health Department was notified and it's unknown if or how long the restaurant will be closed.
Check Out the Best-Selling Album From the Year You Graduated High School
LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades